Together men and women share dominion not identities.
Written by Dr. Merle Ray on September 30, 2018
Click to View Video Lesson 8 – continued
God is quite the artist. He neither needs nor desires our help in correcting any gender issues. God wants women to know that they are not mistakes. Since God knew us before we were even thought of by our parents, then how can we be mistakes? By design, he made women the incubators of mankind as a species, holding the key to the necessary nourishment and essential ingredients needed to protect our very existence. The first woman, Eve, was not a mistake and neither are you. But like Eve, you will have what you see and say because you are a god-like creature. If you believe your gender at birth was a mistake, then guess what? You will fulfill your own prophecy. When God cut through the flesh of man to create a gender at creation, He gave us woman. But when we cut through the flesh today supposedly “correcting our sexual identity,” that is an omen. That behavior, and all sin is in direct contrast to the sacred declaration of God when He created us. And while rejecting our own identity and pursuing that of sin may appear glamorous for some, and the lifestyle of it may even seem rewarding for others, all sin is an act of “dis”grace and “dis”reverence toward the very God that created us and gave us identity.
God loves us and that’s all the more reason why He is offended if we call ourselves “correcting” our sexual identity or perverting our sexual orientation when He has already “perfected” it at creation. If you have made these kinds of mistakes of sin of any kind, guess what? We all have sinned and God still loves us. But He despises the behavior and the lies that we believe about ourselves and about Him. Only you hold the key to your destiny, and it’s up to you to embrace the truth.
Just as men were created superior beings on the face of the earth, so are we as women. There’s nothing like us. God made Adam a glorious specimen to look upon, but the woman, Eve, was the finer vessel. In designing woman, God did not make her any less superior than man. He made her more special, more rare – like a precious stone or jewel. In an opposite fashion than He made man, God reflected the beauty of His being on earth with mankind through a woman. He chose to show the glory of a man through a woman. I heard Ed Young of Fellowship Church in Dallas, Texas say, “They are both created superior beings, women in their womanhood, and men in their manhood.” [i] I would agree with Ed. They are two whole completely different creatures, and I say: Together they share dominion, not identities. This is one of God’s wider definitions of womanhood. It goes against the world’s view of equal identities for men and women. God says equal in dominion, separate in identity.
When women spend time alone with God, we gain a sense of identity that makes us feel confident in whom we are, not lacking or longing to be someone else. We value ourselves based on what God has done and said about us and not the words and works of someone else. We get our definition of womanhood from God and not from society. It is because God has a wider definition of your womanhood than does society.
Remember, God cut the covenant, not man and not the woman. Woman was selected as the third party to God’s covenant. God is the first party and man is the second. We are not third because we are of least importance; it’s quite the opposite. We were the crowning achievement of creation for a reason and we need to understand that. Any man who pursues a woman must also understand that. I am not saying this for a man’s dishonor, but for his honor. When a man disrespects or harms a woman, then he disrespects God’s glory because that’s just what women are to reflect. Women are created distinctively different than men for a purpose far greater than self and man put together. When we realize that, then we are no longer willing to settle for being treated as less.
[i] Young, Ed. “Authority Issues Present a Godly View of Authority.” EdYoung.com. Fellowship Church. Last accessed on Nov. 21, 2007. <www.edyoung.com/series/864>.
Lesson 8 – Pondering Questions
Textbook: Spiritual Identity by Dr. Merle Ray
Please read the section above then Scroll down to Leave a Reply posting your answers to the questions below by the requested due date. Reply also to the comments posted by your Corporate Sisters. Once you have left your reply/comments, then click below to either proceed to the Next Discussion Forum or Return to Curriculum page.
Scroll Down to Leave a Reply in the Comments, posting your answers to the following questions:
- After woman was created, did God create anything else? What did God do?
- From what you’ve read, what is meant by the words “help meet” in Genesis 2:20? Ask God to help you understand the significance of these words for your life today.
- According to Scripture in Genesis 2:20, what is God’s purpose for creating woman? How does this compare to how women are viewed worldwide?
- From what you’ve read in Genesis Chapter 2, what can you tell about the character of God?
MOVE TO LESSON 9 – WHAT ABOUT YOU IS WORTH STEALING? >>>
Benita Edwards On November 8, 2020 at 11:19 am
1. No, I don’t see that He created anymore.
2. Help meet: an aid suitable and supplementary to him. Ask God to help you understand the significance of these words for your life today. Well, I believe I understand the significance, and I think I’m not ready to be a help meet. I need a help meet – JESUS!
3. And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a help meet for him. Genesis 2:18. We should be treated with more respect and honored.
4. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised…Psalm 48:1
Tanika Guidroz On October 1, 2020 at 9:16 pm
After woman was created, did God create anything else? NO
What did God do? RESTED
From what you’ve read, what is meant by the words “help meet” in Genesis 2:20? TO HELP THE MAN TAKE DOMINION AND MAINTAIN THE EARTH
Ask God to help you understand the significance of these words for your life today. WE UNDERSTAND IT HOWEVER THE MEN GETS IT DISCABALATED
According to Scripture in Genesis 2:20, what is God’s purpose for creating woman? How does this compare to how women are viewed worldwide? WORLDWIDE WE ARE SLAVES, SOMETHING THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE ON A MAN SIDE, AND NOT PRIZE OR GOOD THING FROM GOD.
From what you’ve read in Genesis Chapter 2, what can you tell about the character of God? HE IS A FAIR GOD; WHO LOVES ALL; AND CREATED ALL.
Destinee Montgomery On September 19, 2020 at 9:41 am
1. His help meet meant is someone by his side to do Gods work with.
2. We were created to be a helper to do Gods work together. Today that is not the case women are keen to being strong and independent. Women today look at helping a man or “depending” on man is weak. Instead of understanding that God created us for someone else and not our own selfish reason.
Yolanda Perry On July 20, 2020 at 1:57 pm
After woman was created, did God create anything else? No, he did not create anything else.
What did God do? Rest
From what you’ve read, what is meant by the words “help meet” in Genesis 2:20?
Help Meet means someone to partner and reign with on the earth
Ask God to help you understand the significance of these words for your life today.
According to Scripture in Genesis 2:20, what is God’s purpose for creating woman?How does this compare to how women are viewed worldwide?
Life today’s meaning of helpmeet is a partnership, decreeing and declaring the will of the Lord over your lives, business adventures, and children.
From what you’ve read in Genesis Chapter 2, what can you tell about the character of God? God is loving, caring, and relational.
Diana Williams On May 24, 2020 at 5:05 pm
1.) After woman was created, did God create anything else? No.
What did God do? God blessed them, and commanded them to be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and He gave them dominion and authority over the earth. After which time He rested on the seventh day.
2.) From what you’ve read, what is meant by the words “helpmeet” in Genesis 2:20?
My understanding of a help meet is one who is in covenant with God who is divinely selected by God to enter into covenant with another (God+ Man+Woman) to help rule and fulfill the plans and purpose of God in the spirit of unity in the earth realm.
Ask God to help you understand the significance of these words for your life today.
3.) According to Scripture in Genesis 2:20, what is God’s purpose for creating woman? To provide Man with a covenant relationship to dominate the earth, and dwell together as one.
4.) How does this compare to how women are viewed worldwide? In many instances, woman are seen as an object for sexual gratification, baby mills, a pouncing bag, and less than God’s intent and purpose for them.
5.) From what you’ve read in Genesis Chapter 2, what can you tell about the character of God?
God is a loving God and is concerned about every aspects of our lives. He was concerned that Adam was alone, and created woman to fulfill the void. His intent and purpose is for us to not have voids within our lives, but to have everything we need to live a life of dominance and authority in the earth.
Evelyn Wilson On May 17, 2020 at 6:57 pm
1. After woman was created, God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. I somehow understood that God spoke everything but he created man.
2. From reading this chapter I believe a helpmate is a helper she was to support him, assistant as a teammate, partner and coworker.
3. I think God’s purpose for creating woman was to help man accomplish Gods will in the earth. How does this compare to how women are viewed worldwide ? Women are viewed nationwide in a lot of cases as less then she get paid less, promoted less but expected to do more work to prove his worth she playing a big part in this earth helping men in every area and keeping everything together to fulfill God’s purpose.
4. That God is a God of relationship.
Barbara Crater On May 17, 2020 at 12:51 pm
1. After God created woman, He was finished with creating. He observed His work of
splendor, and then He rested.
2. From my reading I believe a helpmate is “the matching of one another likeness”,
male and female that was individually designed by God for one another.
3. I believe the purpose for creating the woman was to “correspond with the glory of
God and man.
4. The character of God is pass finding out. He is limitless in his love, and care
brendab On May 3, 2020 at 3:58 pm
That God thought of every creature, every live stock even the life man He created, He wanted everyone to be able to reproduce after their own kind
brendab On May 3, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Woman was created to be a help to man, these days most women are independent, some even like the idea of being by themselves, some even compete with men, trying to prove that they can be better in some things then they are
brendab On May 3, 2020 at 3:52 pm
A help meet is one that supports, uplift, encourage and stands by her husband, she’s there to lend a helping hand and show love.
brendab On May 3, 2020 at 3:49 pm
1. God had finished creating everything after he Created woman for Adam, God rested on the 7th day